Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Headlines


I catch myself wasting time reading another Yahoo! headline story about some celebrity who doesn't even know my name. Oh my, look what they're wearing! They're dating who? They're entering rehab again! I'm embarrassed to say I know more about these celebrities' lives than some of my own relatives. This just isn't right.

What is it that makes us so curious about the lives of the rich and famous? Why does a celebrity's fashion faux-pas make headlines right along side the national election coverage or Hurricane Sandy?

I'm not sure I have the answers, but it's a peculiar behaviour that makes me go “hmmm”. I suppose it could be a form of escape from our ho-hum lives to catch a glimpse into a lifestyle we'll never have ourselves. It could come from our innate need to worship something, or our tendency to idolize or make heroes of those who have attained worldly success. Sadly, it's like a one-way relationship, and I use that term loosely. We can know everything about someone else but they don't have to know anything about us. It's safe, but a little twisted, actually.

Not to undermine the value of celebrities as individuals, but our time would surely be better spent learning about the lives of those around us, those we brush shoulders with every day. At least we'd be investing in relationships, and showing others that they are valued and important. Friendships are built when we reach out, show concern, and open ourselves up to others. It's a two-way adventure. It's risky. We might even get hurt sometimes, but this is part of growing as a human being and being fully alive.

So, welcome to my challenge. Will you join me in this? The next time we are intrigued by one of those Yahoo celebrity headlines, let's make the choice to invest our time more wisely. Let's be conscious instead of our friends and loved ones who really need our attention, and would love to have someone listen to their story. The rich and famous won't miss us anyway.

1 comment: